What is your preference - Photoshop or GIMP?

Namdnas

I personally like gimp. Its free and when you learn it can be just as useful if not more useful then Photoshop in some instances.

nealcaffery0969

I like GIMP over Photoshop. Because it is open source with almost same features and user friendly. It does the good job for simple image editing which I have to do most of the times.

lsmithx2

Banned
I always use Photoshop or Fireworks to edit images, There are a few free programs but its what I have always used since i started learning.

alantoaca

I just prefer PhotoShop over GIMP.

I've always used PhotoShop and I just have way more PhotoShop experience than on GIMP.

I guess it's really a matter of preference.

amh

I prefer photoshop over gimp or gimpshop or other software. maybe because im used to photoshop interface...anybody using latest photoshop? does it support high definition screen?

Rjones

photoshop ...even though protoshopn has a steep learning curve...for those newbies just focus on the tools you need for the moment the basic tools then when you want to do more complicated stuff wtch a you tube video to see how what you want to to do then practice ... practice

strowrook

I absolutely prefer GIMP.
Why? On Photoshop, if you have made a mistake, you can going back for one action. Instead, on GIMP, you can retracing your steps to the bad action that you want to change

GigaGreg

strowrook said:
On Photoshop, if you have made a mistake, you can going back for one action. Instead, on GIMP, you can retracing your steps to the bad action that you want to change

With ctrl+z yes, however you have a history with all stuff you added. Like you said, it is very annoying and with this I also prefer GIMP over Photoshop, where I can use ctrl+z to go back to a blank page I started with.

strowrook

GigaGreg said:
strowrook said:
On Photoshop, if you have made a mistake, you can going back for one action. Instead, on GIMP, you can retracing your steps to the bad action that you want to change

With ctrl+z yes, however you have a history with all stuff you added. Like you said, it is very annoying and with this I also prefer GIMP over Photoshop, where I can use ctrl+z to go back to a blank page I started with.

django23

I think is about what you really need.
For simple works GIMP is enough but I'm a Photoshop user since 10 years now :D

usmc0311stc

I soooooo prefer GIMP. Why? It's simple... everyhting I've ever needed to do for an image that I cna do on photoshop, I can also do on GIMP. GIMP howeer is free and feels more intuitive to me in it's interface.

sashalusa

Photoshop hands down.
I've tried using GIMP several times but I always went back to Photoshop; imo GIMP's UI is a mess, the layer system is way more basic, all the other tools are not meant for advanced work either and the program itself is incredibly buggy. As I see it, GIMP should not even be considered an alternative to Adobe; it lacks too many features to even come close.